When we originally made this recipe it was as a side dish for some yummy stuffed peppers.
We ended up with so much left over after feeding our family (2 adults, a teenager and a toddler) that we are going to be using it again for burrito bowls.
This would be a fantastic option for any meal preppers out there.
We used long grain white rice, however brown rice could be used if you are avoiding white rice.
-2 cups of cooked rice (we used long grain white rice cooked according to directions)
-1 clove of garlic
-1tbsp of olive oil
-1 tbsp of chili powder
-1tbsp of cumin
-1 can of diced tomatoes (you will only be using 1 cup of the juice in the can for this recipe)
– 4-6 cherry or grape tomatoes chopped into quarters
-1 can of black beans that has been drained and rinsed.
1. Cook rice according to directions and set aside. Dice garlic clove.
2. In a small saucepan, heat up olive oil and add garlic. Saute on medium low heat for about 1 minute, then add grape tomatoes, chili powder and cumin
3. Saute mixture until grape tomatoes are slightly softer (approximately 2-4 minutes), then add 1 cup of juice from the canned tomatoes. Mix well
4. Pour juice mixture into the cooked rice. Add beans and stir.
*Jalapenos, onions and cilantro would be great additions for this recipe. We did not use these only because our kids do not like spicy foods. Instead, we added a Pico de Gallo mixture after. Happy Eating!